Sunday, April 3, 2011

The World Cup is ours

    Lasith Malinga started his run up to bowl to MS Dhoni. We have like 4 runs to win from 11 balls. 200 people sitting in the auditorium. All of us watching very closely. There is this weird silence in the auditorium. Malinga released the ball ... Dhoni came down the ground, smashed it up in the air. The ball went so high ... all of us watched until the last moment. The ball went over the line, its a huge six ... and the whole theater erupted! And then ... you know how it is ... the victory celebrations.

    Triveni, an organisation for Indian Students at UNC Charlotte booked the university theater to watch the matches. We watched India v Pakistan and again India vs Sri Lanka too. About 200 people gathered and watched India win yesterday. I got myself a blue t-shirt, got the tri-color painted on my left cheek n watched the game. Its a different feeling watching the game amidst a lot of people. This I only understand now. After the game all of us (no, not 200 ... just 20 of us) went to a restraunt called Hibachi Grill. Japanese vegetarian cuisine also doesn't have much options :( I ate all I could possibly eat, came home and slept like a pig! That is how I spent my first weekend in April.

No comments: